Thursday, September 20, 2012

September 18, 2012: Happy Birthday Adalyn May

Adalyn May: Our Precious Heavenly Angel

48 hours ago our precious and most perfect little girl came into this world. Although her heart was not beating and her spirit was not there, Mark and I were at peace and were so happy to be holding our Addy May. 

 Around four and a half months ago, Mark and I were so angry, heartbroken, and confused. We repeatedly thought, why us? How could something like this happen to such a young, happy couple? Last night as Mark and I were laying in bed talking about how beautiful and perfect our little girl was and is (I will get more into that later), almost everything came into place for me. This is exactly where Mark and I are supposed to be. Everything that has happened in the last several months has been for a specific reason and I have never heard God speak to me so clearly in my entire life. Adalyn May was perfectly designed and made for us. He had a very specific plan for our family and this calling has never been more clear to us.

Adalyn has already touched so many lives and will continue to touch many more. The 37 weeks that we were given with her were so amazing that I would NEVER regret a single decision that we made. We got to know her personality long before she was born... our little dancing soccer player who was stubborn and had attitude (sounds familiar). Every single kick, punch, and dance party that we got to feel and watch will be remembered for the rest of our lives. We are so happy to know that she is now in heaven and will be able to play soccer and have as many dance parties as she wants. Mark and I will have to practice our soccer skills so that we can give her at least some competition when we get to meet her!

If not for our faith Mark and I would not be in the position we are in today. To know that she has already gotten to be held by Jesus and that she is being spoiled by all of her grandparents and family that are up there is the most comforting thing for us. She will be waiting for us and Mark and I will be counting down the days until we get to meet her and hold her again. I also hope that this message will get to countless others so that you can see that with God, anything is possible. Yes, we are still heartbroken and miss our precious little girl dearly, but we have an amazing sense of peace and comfort. We have a huge hill to climb but we know that things can only get better and we will get though this with God and prayers. 

PRAYER... the one word that we have heard and used countless times during this pregnancy. We never truly knew the full power of that word until Monday night when we got that terrible news. Let this be a testimony to how amazing and powerful prayer really is. I am sitting here today writing this with a total sense of peace and we know that we are so blessed to have Adalyn as our little girl and to be where we are today. I know that I have said it before, but I will say it again... THANK YOU to everyone who has said a prayer for our family. Words can not truly express how thankful we are to have had all the support that we have been given over the last several months. Of course we will continue to ask for prayer so that we can continue to stay strong through the tough times that are still to come. We know that we will have our good days and our bad days but with prayer, we will get through them.

So, this is the point where I tell you about the last few days and how we got to where we are now. On Monday, September 17, I started to have some real signs of labor. Somehow, I remained calm and called my doctor's office. Since I had not felt movement for about a week, they thought it may be a good idea to go into the hospital just to be safe. Mark got off of work and we made our way there Monday night. That is where we got the worst news we will probably ever get. The nurse spent about five minutes trying to find a heartbeat, and there was a couple times we thought we may have heard something faint, so we were trying to stay positive. After the doctor came in and did an ultrasound, we then realized that faint heartbeat was probably just my heart pounding so hard. The words that I had been dreading ever since the day we found out about her diagnosis were said: "there is no heartbeat". She had said that with how low the fluid levels were Adalyn had probably been gone for several days. 

To think that she had passed already and that we were not going to get to hold her and feel her beating heart tore us to pieces. I was so angry that I was not going to get to hear her cry or feel the warmth of her body. Surprisingly, I sit here today and tell you that we are okay with how everything happened. To know that she was not going to have to suffer and that she passed away while in the comfort of my womb helped us be more at peace. The fact that we did not have to watch her take her final breath was in a way, easier. 

We ended up going home that night and decided to come back Tuesday morning since I was not far enough in labor, and it also gave our parents time to get up here. Before I forget, I want to stop myself and also let you know that my platelets were at 479,000! Higher than they have ever been... thanks to all of your prayers and my wonderful doctors. Okay, back to where I was... I woke up at 5 am Tuesday morning and my contractions had gotten to be five minutes apart. So, we headed to the hospital a little early. To fast forward a little, I will skip the gory (and painful) labor part.

1:30 p.m..... Adalyn May came into this world. Our nurse, Hope, who was the most wonderful person and nurse I have ever met, took her and gave her a bath for us. After wrapping her up she brought her out for us to meet her. Of course, she warned us that there were a few things to get ready for. She said that her nose got a little smooshed because she had been gone for a few days, her eyes were more like slits, and she was also "softer" since she had not been alive for a little bit. Despite these things and the blood that was coming out of her mouth, we could not have had a more perfect and beautiful baby girl. Yeah yeah.. I know that I am her mommy and I am biased, but I will tell you, she really was perfect. To think that there were so many things that were internally "messed up" you would have never known it!

Her hands.... she had my long "piano playing" fingers (or chicken feet as Mark calls them). They were the cutest things I had ever seen. Oh, and she also had her daddy's crooked pinky finger!

Her feet.... she also had the cutest little feet! We were wondering why her one foot was a little curled, but when her Grandma Cathy came into the room and saw them she instantly shouted "she has Mark's feet!" Apparently that is exactly how her daddy's feet were when he was born.. imagine that! 

Her cheeks... I just wanted to pinch her cheeks because they were so stinkin' cute! They were not that "chubby" but they were adorable.

These are just some of the things that were perfect about her, but I will not spend too much time talking about it.. I do not want to brag too much! So, to sum things up, Mark and I are the happiest parents and are so blessed to have such an amazing family. We got to spend a long time taking turns holding our little girl, and we also got LOTS of pictures. We will ALWAYS cherish that time that we got with her, and I will ALWAYS remember every little feature on her perfect little face until the day that we are reunited in heaven. Thank you again for all of the prayers and the AMAZING support that we have received over the last several months and continue to receive to this day. We would not be here today without our faith, friends, and family. I love you all....


Shortly after her birth... feelings of complete joy and also of grief overwhelmed us.

This was the one thing that I have been looking forward to for as long as I can remember... seeing Mark as a dad and holding his little girl. He was SO PROUD and happy. Never have I seen so much love on someone's face than I did when he was holding her.

You can kind of see her long fingers and adorable hands..
Holding her in my arms was the best feeling in the world... those 9 months of pregnancy and the labor pains were well worth it.
Our precious angel... Adalyn May.


Proud parents!
 
Her cute feet!! Totally her daddy's.. although his are NOT cute!


Proud grandparents.. Adalyn could not have been blessed with more amazing grandparents than them. We are so thankful... we would not be where we are today if it were not for them!





15 comments:

  1. Awww she is absolutely gorgeous! I love the pictures! Thank you for sharing your precious baby girl with us! Praying for you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following your blog for a while now...I have been praying for you guys and honestly, I was praying for a different result. I am so glad that you all can see the blessings in this experience, but I was hoping you'd hear her cry and get to see what her movements were like on the outside. I'll continue to pray for you guys! Thanks for sharing your story with all of us! I have been moved by your faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could come up with something amazing to say, but all I really can say is CONGRATULATIONS on your beautiful baby girl! Of course, I am very sorry for your loss, but I can just picture Addy now being held by Jesus, dancing around, playing soccer and maybe the piano:) thank you for sharing the wonderful family pictures and sweet, sweet photos of Adalyn! I pray that you and Mark and all of your family continue to find comfort in each other, in God and in knowing that you will be with Adalyn again! You are absolutely right when you say Adalyn has touched lives...she (and you) has touched mine in such a positive way-strengthening my faith in and love for God, trying to see my children every day as the perfect miracles they are, and taking a step back from everyday living to enjoy and appreciate things more deeply. Thank you for sharing Adalyn's life! May God Bless you!!
    Love and support from Ohio!!
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the birth of the most Angelic baby girl! I cannot express the words that you need to hear other than you and your family have touched the hearts and lives of so many. You will remain in the hearts and prayers of such an extended "family" that you may never know. Continued strength to you and Mark. Love and hugs to you <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my heart aches for your family... I've been following your blog for the last couple of months and have been praying for you guys. I'm not even sure how I can across your blog. I can't imagine the pain, hurt, and loss you're going through but I'm so thankful we serve a God who Himself lost his only Son. I pray that the Holy Spirit would be your total comfort and peace today and in the days, weeks, months, and years to come. Thank you for reflecting Him so faithfully even in the midst of tragedy. God's blessings on you and I so look forward to the day we will all get to meet Adalyn again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have followed your story for just a short time. I know the pain of losing a child. My prayers are with you. May you find peace and know your precious angel is rejoicing with our Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry that you didn't get to hold her while her heart was still beating but I too am very glad that she is dancing and singing and playing soccer with Jesus. She is absolutely beautiful. I know you know that already but wow, she is gorgeous.

    You are in my prayers as you walk this road. Your faith is an inspiration and I know God and family and friends will help as you mourn your loss. God is glorified through you and Adalyn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin and Mark, You are the most amazing parents! Addy is beautiful. Seeing you in the picture holding Addy, you look just like your Mom when I first met her. Her feet are especially precious. Cherish each other. You two and your parents are in our thoughts and prayers. Glad to hear your platelets are up too! Love you all, Nancy,Gary,and Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is absolutely beautiful!! Love the pictures of her. She looks so much like you, Erin! I think she has your mouth. Been thinking and praying for you. So sorry that you were not able to feel her heart beating, but so glad she was peaceful. My heart breaks for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erin and Mark, she is beautiful, and perfect; you're right. Love all the pictures .. it's wonderful that you were able to get so many!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our own precious little girl, Marie, was born still yesterday on September 22. Our hearts grieve with you as we lift you up in prayer. Our girls are in heaven together! Blessings to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is beautifully and wonderfully made! I am sure they will be an awesome reunion some day with your precious little Adalyn! God's presence in your journey is so evident in you and Mark. I will continue to pray that God fills you with His peace and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe I missed this! Erin (and Jessica) thank you so much for sharing your daughter with us. She is a beautiful little girl! I'm so happy everyone made it and got to see her. She has touched so many lives. Although the road ahead may be difficult, hold onto that faith of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mark and Erin you don't know me, my sister works with you mom. My sister shared with me your story as you were growing your little angel Adalyn in your womb, as she knew that I could understand, and would probably have a special prayer or word for you three. Reading your last post brings peace upon my heart, you sound at peace, in love and driven for another day.

    I too lost a child, he was 5 months old when I lost him, and he was born a very sick baby. Somedays for you and Mark will be hard, and somedays may be filled with joy. Just remember the words that you began in the post about prayer, having peace, never regreting the decissions you made for Adlyn; hold on to that. You will never forget Adalyn. Some people will say things that sound hurtful, but they don't know what to say and they really do mean well. When you find the words to, it's okay to ask for help, and tell people what you need. Also, it's okay to scream! You sound so wise in your words, just don't forget them from this post, hold on to your faith, and God will see you through every step for the rest of your days in this life. I love you guys, and my prayers are with you daily. If you would like to contact me, or just need someone to talk with you has a shared story ask your mom to seek me out through Sonya Peters.

    ReplyDelete