Saturday, January 12, 2013

Making Beautiful Things Out of Dust...

"All this pain..
I wonder if I'll ever find my way.
I wonder if my life could really change, at all.
All this earth..
Could all that is lost ever be found?
Could a garden come up from this ground, at all?"


A wonderful friend recently sent me a CD called "Addy's Mix" in the mail. She also lost her daughter not long after we did, and told me that she listens to these songs when she is feeling down to help pick her up. The above lyrics are from a song called "Beautiful Things" by a band called Gungor. This song is on that CD... and I have been putting it on repeat every time I get in my car. The lyrics have really touched me and I have felt God telling me there is a reason I have been stuck on this song...

You see, I have been struggling more than I realized lately and have had a heavy heart. I had thought that the grief would get better over time... but it hasn't. Things are supposed to get easier over time, are they not? Instead, I find myself thinking of our little girl all the time and wondering what she would be doing right now. I see pictures of friends' babies who have reached milestones such as turning three months old. I am excited for them, but at the same time I catch myself thinking "Adalyn would be three months today..." or "she should have been in that family picture...". I know that grief effects everyone differently, and for me, it is going to get harder before it gets easier.

That is why I decided to post this.... for all of you who have been suffering or who have suffered at one point in your life. I tell myself everyday that there are countless others who have lost a child or who have been suffering lately. I am not the only one. But we can do something with this suffering. Instead of waking up everyday and thinking of the "what ifs" and letting it bring us down, we can use our pain. 

Recently, we had a guest speaker at church, who did a sermon solely on suffering and titled it "A Life and Death Matter". She talked about James 1:1-18, which is about trials and temptations.   

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. 10 But the rich should take pride in their humiliation—since they will pass away like a wild flower. 11 For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich will fade away even while they go about their business.
12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.
13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.
16 Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

"The testing of your faith produces perseverance...." God is using these trials to make you stronger! "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial, because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life..." Anyone who is going through a trial right now might not feel very blessed or feel very loved. But ultimately, you are blessed! These trials in your life are put there to make you stronger, so that you may use them to help others and to draw nearer to the Lord. One definition of the word blessed is: divinely or supremely favored; fortunate. We are given these trials because He knows that we can get through them with His help. In the end, you will come out stronger and a better person if you rely on Him. Do not let this suffering go to waste or bring you down.... use it to come out stronger and better. As it says in verse 12... that person will receive the CROWN OF LIFE.... 

The rest of the Gungor song sums it up: 
You make beautiful things,
You make beautiful things out of dust.
You make beautiful things,
You make beautiful things out of us.


All around,
Hope is springin up from this old ground.
Out of chaos, life is being found in You.


You make me new,
You are making me new.
You make me new,
You are making me new. (making me new.)




7 comments:

  1. Erin, you hit it right on the head today! I have really been struggling with my losses lately. There are so many "good" days with just a dull pain in your heart. Then from nowhere you just can't function as the pain is too real. It's crazy how I manage to find your posts when I need them the most. I wish I had your courage to talk about it more openly. You truly are a BLESSING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, hearing those words of encouragement are what keeps me going. I pray that our little Adalyn and our story can be used to help others. I am sorry you are struggling but I can tell you are a strong person already... I know you can be just as courageous as me... just draw on strength from loved ones and Him. If you need to talk please feel free to email me! Praying for you..

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Erin, that was powerful and spot on.

    I believe it is normal to be in anguish for a long time after the death of a child. As Shannon said, there are "good" days and then the unexpected really awful day or days. It would be nice if grief were linear and that a grieving parent would just climb steadily out of the agony, but that certainly wasn't my experience with my miscarriages.

    I continue to pray for you both often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laraba,
      Thank you for your continued prayers and support. Yes it would be nice of grief worked like that.. but that is what makes us all stronger. We learn to deal with it in our own way and hopefully grow closer to God through our experiences. I am glad to hear your little one is doing better... I will continue to pray!

      Delete
  3. I lost our son to miscarriage almost 11 years ago (next month). The pain of losing him has gotten less sharp, but you will never forget. Sometimes I still think of the what if's or what it would be like. But I know he is having a blast up in Heaven and is waiting on me to get there. Losing a child whom we have loved from day one is a very hard thing to go through, and continue to go through. But with God's love and support He will carry you through this. Your grief is still fresh and new. It took me a long time to create a new normal. Yes life goes on, but you will always feel like something is missing. Just look for ways to keep her name alive and involved in your family. Every year we get a family ornament for our tree and we include Jalen's name on them. Or get some balloons and tie a message to her and release them. Plant a tree and watch it grow. Whatever it may be always know that she is with you and watching over you and is waiting for you when your it's your time. Praying for you guys and praying God will grant peace on your heavy hearts.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for those suggestions! We loved the idea of planting a tree and watching it grow. Thank you for reaching out and giving me encouragement... you obviously know what I am going through. Your family will also be in our prayers, even though it has been 11 years. I am sure you still have that piece of your heart missing for your little boy.

      God bless,
      Erin

      Delete
  4. I was hoping to find a way to private message you but I will start this way. First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. However, through everything you have been through you have seemed to find a way to rejoice your daughter's life and love. I found your blog my searching Awareness for Adalyn as my daughter shares your daughters name. She was born on October 4th, 2012 and also has a rare genetic disease. I would love the chance to maybe email you because it's always nice to have someone in your corner who shares some (not all) of the feelings you have. If you would like to reach out to me, you may email me at awarenessforadalyn@gmail.com.

    I hope to hear from you, but understand if I do not and wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete