Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month

I have learned a lot of things during this journey, one of them being that we are only one of countless families that have lost a child. Before our lives changed with the devastating diagnosis, we were so oblivious to what was going on around us. I have heard from so many women who have told me about their miscarriages and what they have gone through. They tell me that it is not quite the same as what we have gone through, but it does not matter if it is the same because one way or the other, it is devastating. 

I also hear about friends of friends who have had babies with some kind of illness or trisomy. They have lost their children at some point, and have gone through what Mark and I are going through. I had no idea how many there were until now, and it makes me wonder why God lets these things happen. I know that He probably has a plan in mind for each of these families, but it is hard to think that so many babies have passed away. 

I am writing this post in honor of all of these people who have lost a child or children. No matter what the circumstance, it affects us for the rest of our lives. We will always grieve and remember our children. Even if and when we go on to have other children, we will always think about the ones we have lost, and how they should be growing up right alongside their siblings. Life is not fair, but it is how we handle it and what we make of what is thrown at us that makes us who we are. We have been forever changed, and have become stronger and better people.

As Mark and I still grieve, there have been talks about trying again for another baby. We feel that in some way, it will help our grieving process. To think that one day we will be able to have a healthy baby gives us hope during these times. One thing that crosses our thoughts is what people will think of us if we get pregnant again. Will they think that we are trying to "replace" our little girl? I would hope not... we know that we have so many people who love and will always support us. I recently read a quote that says "I could go on to have 1,000 more children.... but there will always be 1 missing." This is so true... Adalyn will forever be in our hearts and minds, and we will never be trying to "replace" her. We always say that one day Addy will have brothers and sisters, and will be their guardian angel. Grandma Scholz reminded us that she will have her hands full if our children are anything like we were. Get ready Addy!!



"Although we know that after such a loss, the acute stage of mourning will subside, we also know that we shall remain inconsolable and will never find a substitute.  No matter what may fill the gap, even if it be filled completely, it nevertheless remains something else. And actually, this is how it should be. It is the only way of perpetuating that love which we do not want to relinquish". -Sigmund Frued

7 comments:

  1. Praying and thinking of you often.

    I totally understand what you mean about longing for another child while of course you will never replace your dear Adalyn.

    I want to write more but need to get moving here. Hopefully later...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laraba.. I definitely have that "empty arms" feeling.

      Delete
  2. Erin and Mark,

    After our first miscarriage, I realized that life was never going to be the same for us again because a child we loved died. I hadn't known how much I loved my children from conception...and I only carried that little one for 8 short weeks whereas you had Adalyn for more than 8 months.

    I got quite depressed and made the wise decision to seek Christian counseling. It did help. I'm just saying that to let you know that feeling very sad and depressed are normal responses to losing a baby.

    It has been almost exactly 6 years since we lost our first baby to miscarriage. I still think about her and the other 3 we lost, though not on a daily basis anymore. Usually I focus more on the truth that they are in heaven with Jesus so generally I don't feel sad. There are times when I get VERY sad, like when I read about people like you who have lost babies. There is an Oakland A's player whose baby son died unexpectedly of SIDS a day after his birth. When that hit the news in the last month, I cried hard because it reminded me of the tragic shock of learning that one of our babies had died in the womb. (And I cried for them, and you, as well.)

    I'm trying to embrace that feeling sad is normal and not even BAD. Jesus wept over Lazarus' death. It is normal (for me, anyway) to try to get rid of sad or difficult emotions but they are part of reality and it is better to go to God when I feel really sad and let Him comfort me.

    I am sure the next few months will be tough for you. When the Lord blesses you with another pregnancy, you will of course still grieve about Adalyn even as you rejoice about a new little one.

    My prayer for you is that the Lord will comfort and guide you. I pray that your marriage will stay strong and you'll be able to communicate well in your grief. I pray that at the right time, the Lord will bless you with another child.

    God bless, Laraba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin...I just wanted to write to let you know that I am still praying for you. I think of you often and hope you are doing okay. I will continue to pray for your healing and strength and understanding. I'm sure the upcoming holidays will be hard, so I will be praying extra. It's amazing how much your little girl and you have touched my heart and soul!
    ~Jill (Ohio)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill,
      It really means a lot to hear that you are still praying for us. Even though the dust has settled, we still grieve everyday and continue to struggle here and there. Prayers will always be needed :-)

      God bless,
      Erin

      Delete
  4. Hello Erin and Mark.
    I recently stumbled upon your blog site while searching for inspirational quotes to place on my non-profit organization's facebook page (The Zoe Foundation Inc.)www.zoe-foundation.org
    My husband and I lost our 2nd daughter to full trisomy 13, so I can completely understand all the things you are saying. I'd love to chat more via email if you ever wish to...
    You can reach me via the contact page on our website. I pray that God covers you with peace and comfort that surpasses all human understanding. Thanks for sharing your Adalyn! All my best, Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Erin and Mark,
    we have lost our little girl Hana, coming from twins in Feb 2011 due to unexpecting early birth in week 30. Her brother Matej is handsome and healthy boy and we do believe has a part of his sister in himself too. I become pregnant surprisingly last year and it is 3weeks now I have a baby boy home with us. He will never replace our little angel Hana, she will be in our hearts and minds forever! ♥
    Support you on your way of life,
    Veronika

    ReplyDelete