Thursday, June 21, 2012

Positive news.. finally!

Over the past 8 weeks we have been feeling as if everything is going against us. From getting the life altering news about Addy's diagnosis, to the ultrasounds. Fortunately, on Tuesday, we got some good news! Certain friends and family may be familiar with my situation of the past year and a half, and the disorder I have been diagnosed with. About 18 months ago I noticed that I had lots of bruises all over my body, and they kept coming. After listening to Mark tell me that I needed to see a doctor for almost a month, I gave in. Long story short, I got a phone call that night telling me my platelets were only at 19,000 and that I had to start taking prednisone (a steroid) immediately. 

After seeing a hematologist the next day (I did not know what a hematologist was prior to this) he told me that I had a blood disorder called ITP, or Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Basically, my body was destroying my platelets, causing me to potentially bleed internally. Over the next few months I had take prednisone to get my platelets back to a "normal" level of 150-400,000. I will not list all the side effects of taking this medicine, but let's just say they were not fun. Two ER trips and 12 lbs later, I was able to stop taking medicine. They were three rough months.


When we moved to Boston and I started seeing a hematologist, she had told me that when I got pregnant, my ITP could make my platelets drop again. She said I would have to start getting treatment if that happened, which was the last thing I wanted to do. I had gotten my blood tested several weeks ago and they had dropped, but not drastically. So, when I made an appointment to see a new hematologist with BWH, I was very nervous. Lots of people were praying, including us, that they had gone back up on their own. Two days ago I got the phone call with the results, and they were almost normal. To put it in my mother's words "hallelujah!" Our prayers were finally answered, and for the first time in a while, we got good news. 


Of course, we are going to continue to monitor my ITP over the rest of my pregnancy, and we feel confident that if something does happen, we are in good hands. My new doctor seems wonderful and we are in the best place we can be right now, with some of the most qualified doctors and research. Sometimes I feel that God brought us to Boston as part of His plan for us, and we are thankful for that. We are still enjoying every single kick that Adalyn gives us (especially her soccer games) and continue to pray every day that God will give us some kind of miracle. We deeply appreciate all the prayers and support, and could not feel more blessed to be cared about like we are. Adalyn has a wonderful group of people that love and pray for her, and we thank God every day for it. 


On another note, tomorrow we are flying back home to Dayton! We have not been home since Christmas, and are looking forward to seeing familiar faces. It will be the first time Addy gets to visit our hometown, and we will treasure every moment. So, for all of our Dayton friends and family, we will see you soon!





1 comment:

  1. That is wonderful news, Erin. I'm so glad that your platelet counts were good as of a week ago. I know your battle with ITP was a huge ordeal.

    You all continue to be in my prayers and I think of Adalyn often. She is blessed to have such wonderful parents. And you are blessed to have her for as long as the Lord gives her to you.

    ReplyDelete