Sunday, July 8, 2012

Almost to the 3rd Trimester!

As I was sitting on our couch watching Formula One with Mark (we only have one TV) I got to thinking... I will be 28 weeks this Thursday! Obviously I have been very involved in this race.. sorry Mark. So, I decided that I needed to share this news! In a normal pregnancy, it would not be such a huge milestone, but in our case, the fact that our little fighter has made it this long is a miracle. Of course it is hard to get accurate statistics on these types of pregnancies, but from what I have researched and talking to others in our situation, it is very rare to carry a full trisomy 13 baby this long. Most of these babies will have miscarried already.. but not our sweet Addy! In fact, her kicks have gotten so strong that sometimes I watch my whole belly shift! Today as we were sitting in church, she decided that she was very interested in the pastor's sermon on enjoying the seasons of blessing in our life. Mark saw me looking down and as he did so, he got to see a little punch-kick combination. He just stared and smiled. 

Speaking of church today, this specific sermon really got me thinking. Our pastor kept talking about how we are in a season of great joy and that things are going well, especially with our church expanding. He talked about his family and their adoption of twins, and also about other happy moments. The message was that we should be strengthening our faith in times of great joy, and not just in periods of struggle and sadness. He said to enjoy the "autumn before the winter". I kept telling myself that this message was not meant for me, because I am not in a period of great joy and blessing. But then, as I got to thinking about it, we ARE in a period of joy and blessing. Our precious Adalyn is a joy to us and such a blessing. As angry as Mark and I get at times that our child has to go through this, we have managed to bask in God's glory and love because He has blessed us in so many ways. Although I may never know exactly why He did this to us, I do know that there is a reason she was given to us and that something amazing will come from this. 

On another note, it has been a week since I have been back in Boston. Mark and I got to fly home for our friends' wedding, and I got to spend a full nine days back in Dayton. It was so wonderful driving on "normal" roads with friendly drivers and not getting caught up in the hustle and bustle of living around Boston. It was very relaxing and I enjoyed every moment I got to spend with family and friends. I got to go out to breakfast with my parents, go shopping with my mother and grandmother, go out with friends, and have a picnic with our whole family. We have not been home since we found out we were pregnant, so it was so nice to see everyone and I embraced every hug and warm smile I received. It was very hard to say goodbye, but we are looking forward to the next time we get to go home. 

Lastly, we are asking for even more prayers than ever. Even though Addy has managed to make it this long, every day I wake up fearing that today might be the day that I go into labor and may lose our precious angel. It is so hard waking up like this, and I continue to pray to God that He gives us longer with her. We are also going to meet with a funeral home this week, to make arrangements just in case she does not make it out of the hospital. It is going to be so hard walking into a place like this, because nobody should have to plan their child's funeral. It is supposed to be the opposite and our children should be the ones burying us. But, we have been put in this situation for a reason, and we are continuing to ask for strength and courage to get through these obstacles. We continue to thank everyone for all of the amazing support and prayers that are given to us, and we know that we would not be able to get through this without these things and our faith. To all of you reading this who have supported us and prayed for us: Thank you.

This is the necklace my Aunt Kathy had made for me. It has Adalyn's name on it along with both of our birthstones. I absolutely love it and will wear it every day. Thanks Aunt Kathy :-)


Here is just some evidence at how much support we have gotten. Between the cards, edible arrangement, and the phone calls, words can not express how thankful we are. Again.. thank you everyone!

20 comments:

  1. Erin and Mark, know that The Mummert family is praying for you from Virginia. Keep your trust in the Lord. His timing is the right timing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin and Mark, I was directed to your blog by the Mummert family and I was directed to their blog by my friend Alesia's blog. Please know that I will be in prayer for you both and baby Adalyn. I pray for God's strength and peace to continue to fill you both! Sending prayers for you all from Kentucky. God has this and He has you both in His loving arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your family for strength and peace. Amazed at your outlook and positive spirits when faced with such heartbreak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and your family. Please continue to trust in God and lean on him. He has a perfect plan. I am so touched by your strength and dedication to God during this difficult time in your lives.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin and Mark, I too, am a friend of James Mummert was was directed to your blog from theirs. Just this week I was at a children's hospital visiting friends whose daughter (who has HLHS) just had her third open heart surgery. Yours is a journey of many tears, questions and heartache but through it all may you know and sense the presence of the Lord: "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted. He saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18) -Evan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your prayers. It is so good to know we are not going through this alone. We appreciate each and every one of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another friend of the Mummert's letting you know that prayers for you and Addy are before the throne of God from Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Erin and Mark! I am a close friend of James and Emily and was directed to your blog via Harrison's blog. I can't even imagine how hard it is/has been on you and your family. However, I wanted to let you know that my wife and I are praying for you guys. We pray for strength and peace through this trial, and that God's light would shine through this entire process.

    God bless you and your little one!

    Troy and Nicole Hermon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending good positive thoughts your way from over here in western MA!

    Jenny V

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too heard about you from the Mummerts. Prayers and love from Chicagoland. Going to the funeral home will be hard but good to be prepared just in case. After my daughter died...we had to go to target and get a doll outfit for her to be buried in ...so hard...i will be praying for strength for you

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are loved and we are praying for you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Erin and Mark,
    I started reading your story tonight from your first blog entry to your most recent, and I have already fallen in love with your sweet little soccer player, Addy! She is beautiful (ultrasound pic)!! I read Nora and Harrison's blogs, so that is how I found you:) Thank you for sharing your story. It is such an important reminder to cherish moments with those who we love, especially our children. Your faith in God and your unconditional love is an inspiration to me. I pray that you continue to find strength in God, in each other and through your family and friends. I pray that you are given time with your precious baby girl and I pray for a miracle! I will continue to read your blog and pray for Addy and the two if you daily. Congratulations on your beautiful blessing!
    ~Jill, Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill,
      Nora's blog is what gave me inspiration to start our blog. My mother-in-law found it when she started researching trisomy 13.. which is similar to trisomy 18. One of my best friends and her family is friends with the Mummerts, which is how I was directed to their blog. It is so good to be able to talk to others who have gone through this situation and it was so nice of him to direct all of you to our blog. We appreciate EACH and EVERY prayer that we get. It has definitely given us strength. Thanks and God bless!

      Delete
  14. I'm so glad Addy is doing well and that you are blessed with her "soccer player" kicks. After our first miscarriage, I had to work hard to take every thought captive to Christ. When I got pregnant again, I was tempted to fear that "this day" would be the day I would start bleeding and lose the baby. I pray for you that you'll be able to rejoice in your baby every day that you have with her. I pray that God will help you grieve and mourn the situation appropriately but NOT worry. Do not be anxious for anything...that is one of my life verses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying for you as you go through this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was lead to this blog like others through Nora's blog, then Harrison's blog, and now to yours. I just want you to know that your family will continue to be in my family's prayers and in my thoughts. You have such amazing faith and strength as you go through this pregnancy and get to feel your little girl kick and move and grow. God bless your family as you show everyone what it means to truly be a Christian and to love. Always in my thoughts & prayers,

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS- I can't believe I forgot to say this, Congratulations on the blessing of your baby girl :-)

      Delete
  17. Erin and Mark,
    Like many others here, I was directed to your blog by Harrison's page. I am honored to be praying for you both, as well as Addy, during your pregnancy. May God bless you and keep you in his perfect peace daily.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey! Have you ever paid attention, have your writting skills upgraded recently?

    ReplyDelete